Customer inquiry: "What do I have to do if there is no COC document for my car?"

While there are generally already EC type approvals for most cars after 1997 and COC documents are issued for them, this only became mandatory for commercial vehicles later.

What do you have to do if you want to register a vehicle in Germany without a COC?

A vehicle without a declaration of conformity is registered in Germany via an operating license for individual vehicles in accordance with Section 21 of the Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (StVZO). Depending on the federal state, a so-called full acceptance must be carried out by TÜV or Dekra. Here, an officially recognized expert for motor vehicle traffic draws up an expert opinion, with which the registration office receives the data required for the vehicle documents. The head of the respective technical test center is responsible for this data, which is why there can be different requirements here - depending on the provider. In our experience, test centers near the border often have routine assignments, while others find it difficult and ask for a data sheet from the manufacturer.

In these cases, we also offer data confirmations for Volkswagen.

But please clarify in advance with the Technical Testing Center whether this is really required. With a little experience, the vehicle data can be determined in most cases without such a manufacturer's confirmation and the costs - and above all the time - can be saved.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Back to blog